Ok, so 6 chicken breasts defrosted and no idea what to do with them. So I did what I do best. Did a Google search for a chicken breast recipe, found Quick Thai Curry from All Recipes, copied and pasted it into notepad, printed it out and went into the kitchen to see what I had from the ingredients list and got inventing! Some of the best meals I've ever made have been born from this process and this was one of those beautiful births.
Here's the original recipe : -
400ml reduced-fat coconut milk
200ml chicken stock
2 tbsp Thai green curry paste
4 skinless chicken breast fillets, 600g in total, cut into thin strips
350g new potatoes, scrubbed and cut into chunks
6 spring onions, sliced diagonally
2 tbsp lime juice
125g shelled fresh or frozen peas
8 baby plum or cherry tomatoes, halved
4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1. Place the coconut milk, stock and Thai curry paste in a wok or large frying pan and heat until boiling. Stir in the chicken and potatoes, then bring back to the boil.
2. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes until the chicken and potatoes are just tender.
3. Stir in the spring onions, lime juice, peas and tomatoes and simmer for a further 3–4 minutes. Stir in the coriander and season to taste.
Here's what I did with what I had in the cupboard : -
Photo from BBC Good Food
(camera has run out of battery, but it did look a bit like this only yellower!)
200ml/1/4 pint coconut milk
1L/2 pints chicken stock
2 tblsp red curry paste
6 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
3 small onions, chopped
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tin of sweetcorn (optional)
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
2 plum tomatoes, chopped into chunks
3 sprigs of flat leaf parsley
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tblsp olive oil
1. In a large saucepan heat the olive oil
2. Add the onion and fry until softened
3. Add the chicken stock, coconut milk and curry paste
4. Bring to the boil
5. Reduce the heat
6. Add all the other ingredients and stir together
7. Simmer over a low heat for 15 -20 mins until the chicken and potatoes are cooked through
Just as quick and easy and might I add delicious!
I served with pasta (just to be crazy, and to be honest I am all riced out at the moment, living with an African will do that do you!) and a little homemade mint yoghurt.
Serves : 6
Preparation Time : 5 mins
Cooking Time : 30 mins