Mince and Dumplings is one of my childhood favourites and one of my Mum's specialities. Great on a cool evening as it's not too heavy nor too light on the tummy. Give it a try, I promise you won't be disappointed.
For the mince
2 tblsp olive oil
1 large onion, sliced thinly
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 celery sticks, sliced finely
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
500g minced beef
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 tblsp tomato purée
350ml beef stock
150ml red wine
1 bay leaf (optional)
salt & pepper
For the dumplings
250g self-raising flour, plus extra for rolling
125g shredded beef suet
½ tsp salt
2 tblsp chopped fresh parsley or 1 tblsp of dried parsley
200ml cold water
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
2. Add onion, garlic, celery and carrots saute for about 15 mins until soft and just brown.
2. Add the mince and cook for five minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, beef stock, red wine, sugar, bay leaf and salt & pepper.
4. Bring to the boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile make the dumplings
1. In a large mixing bowl add the flour, suet, salt and parsley.
2. Make a well in the centre and add enough cold water (about 200ml) to mix to a soft, spongy dough.
3. Roll the dough into 12 small balls
* remember to flour the surface and yor hands to prevent the dough from sticking*4. Place the dumplings carefully on top of the mince.
5. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook over a medium heat for 15-20 mins, or until the dumplings are
cooked through and well risen.
Serves : 4 - 6
Preparation time : 5 mins
Cooking time : 1 hour