This weekend my best friend Natacha and her little boy Shogann came to stay.
And as luck would have it, it turned out to be hot and sunny day. So in true French style of a sunny spring Sunday afternoon, we spent the day milling about a brocante in a nearby village. Brocantes are car boot fairs come antique markets, you can find anything and everything in these places and the prices are fantastic.
My finds for the day were a little table & chair and a giant strawberry cushion for Tiana and an array of pretty baskets all for the bargain price of 10 euros!
We had lunch at the little "buvette". A cold glass of rose with a crepe filled with ham, cheese and egg. No greasy burger van at the French brocantes!
We came home and milled about the terrace whilst the kids played in the sun. Then tea al fresco for them of tagliatelle and grated cheese. My little girl just loves her food, it runs in the family!
I hope you all had as lovely as Sunday as I did.
Lamb Rogan Josh
1 tblsp oil
2 large onions, chopped finely
3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
2 tsp dried ginger
2 tsp dried cumin
2 tsp crushed/ dried corriander
3 tsps curry powder
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp chilli powder
500g lamb, chopped into chunks
1 tin chopped tomatoes
4 heaped tblsp of natural yoghurt
(Warning : this is a very spicy curry, half the spices for a milder version)
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil
2. Add the onion and fry until soft
3. Add the garlic and ginger, fry for a further 2-3 minutes
4. Add the lamb, cumin, corriander, curry powder, tumeric and chilli powder
5. Stir constantly over a high heat for 3-4 minutes
6. Add the chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil, stirring constantly
7. Add the yoghurt
8. Leave to simmer over a low heat for 45 minutes - 1 hour, stirring occasionally
Serves : 6
Preparation time : 5 mins
Cooking time : 1 - 1 1/2 hours