Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Mafé and Plantain Bananas

Mafé and Plantain Bananas


Yesterday while flicking through a few recipes books and finding nothing that interested me, I suddenly thought of Mafé. A famous and very popular dish in West Africa. It is a kind of stew in a peanut sauce. My boyfriend makes a fantastic Mafé, so I decided to give it a go myself. I must admit looking up the recipe on the internet I was a bit daunted as none of them were the same. A quick telephone call to my chap for the ingredients he uses and following a basic Mafé guideline I became an African momma for the evening. P.S. The cooking smells were heavenly!

Ingredients

1 large onion, chopped finely
3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
6 medium potatoes, peeled, quartered and par boiled (5mins max)
6 large chicken thighs
2 thin beef steaks, diced
420g unsweetened peanut butter
2 Maggi (Kub Or) cubes, crumbled NOT mixed with water
1 tin of whole, peeled tomatoes
5 tblsp olive oil
2 chillis, left whole
Salt & pepper to taste

Method

1. In a large soup pan or stew pot heat the oil
2. Add the onions, garlic, chicken and beef
3. Sauté over a high heat
4. Reduce the heat a simmer for a few minutes
5. Add the remaining ingredients, except the peanut butter and beef stock
6. Simmer over a low heat for 30 mins, stirring occasionally (add a little water if becomes too dry)
7. Add the beef stock and peanut butter, stir well together
8. Add the chillis, DO NOT LET THEM OPEN INTO THE SAUCE!
9. Leave over a low heat for about an hour, stirring occasionally

Serve with rice.

Serves : 6
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 45 mins

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails